9 whole months of Belgian beer and chocolate

1.14.2012

La Vie Parisienne




Well, after 4 months abroad I finally made it to the city of lights, wine, cheese, and tourists: Paris. I have to say my expectations were not high as I heard from many about the unending hordes of tourists; my experiences this far have taught me that tourist destinations are not exactly my favorite. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a city that is constantly moving and full of new sights and sounds around every corner.

I spent the week with my mom and dad, and we were lucky enough to have the insight and recommendations from his good friend who now lives in Paris. The first evening was spent enjoying a 5 hour Christmas meal in true Parisian fashion: champagne, fromage, foie gras, wine, macaroons, wine, and more champagne (the real stuff, mind you!). One thing is certainly true, the French really know how to enjoy a meal, especially around the holidays.

Though the night of the 25th was relatively quiet on the streets, we were able to enjoy a sunny first day walking around our neighborhood, eating lunch in a park facing Notre Dame, and spending some time exploring the infamous church. We ended the day walking along the Seine and enjoying the last bit of our sunny weather. One of the most wonderful things about Paris is the atmosphere; unfortunately it's hard for me to describe because it's really something you have to experience on your own.

The rest of our week was filled withsome of the typical sights (Eiffel Tower, Musee d'Orsay among them) and evenings of wonderful meals spent in great company. I’m lucky enough to have spent that time with my parents; I am just now appreciating the kinds of differences one sees in traveling with members of different generations. While of course at my age it’s always fun to travel with friends, stay in a hostel, stay out late and do risky things, I realize the wisdom and insight we learn from our parents is truly a blessing.

So my trip to Paris was overall a great success, and only showed me that there’s still a lot more I want to experience there. I foresee at least one more trip within the next 5 months, if not more. In the meantime, it’s on to Barcelona…

No comments:

Post a Comment