9 whole months of Belgian beer and chocolate

3.22.2012

The Remarkable Unimportance of Things

Okay, so if there's one thing any of you that still bother to read this thing should know by now, it's that my ability to stay up to date with my blogging is seriously lacking. Over a month since my last post... oops? Sorry everyone! Anyways, I find that my true inspiration comes from random thoughts that pop into my head about my time here. This post definitely being one of them..

I've been thinking about this post for more than a week now, and I can't exactly say what happened to trigger so many thoughts about it. Maybe it's the apparent lack of consumerism in Brussels that made me realize how truly silly it is that people get so worked up about such a thing as clothes. The more and more I think about going back home and being bombarded with tv ads and sale signs the more and more it makes me nervous. What is it about American society that promotes this constant obsession with things? I'm sure many people have their theories, but the purpose of this post is not really to discuss that. I'm more so trying to bring to light one of the stark contrasts between life on both sides of the Atlantic. This belief will really only be confirmed once I return home, but somehow I can't imagine things will have changed much the 9 months I've been away. Overall, it seems to me that here people are much more content to live within their means... Wait, you mean they don't feel the constant need to impress those around them with their shiny new cars and technological contraptions? I realize this is a broad generalization, but I also recognize a significant difference in cultural attitudes when I see one. Europeans just don't have the same kind of frenzy, freaky mentality to buy, buy, buy. Sure, they go shopping and sure, they buy expensive new things, but the way consumerism is approached is on an entirely different level.

Now, I love a new pair of Uggs as much as the next girl, and I'm not saying I'm above any of the mindless consumption. This year, however has been different for me than it would have been in the states. I've gotten through this past 7 months with a few trusty pairs of shoes, one coat, and not a very big 'going out' collection to choose from (no more room 2 walk-in closet for me). And after it all I've found that, remarkably(?), I'm fine. So going home to a wardrobe that's 5x multiplied, frankly, is going to be a little odd and frustrating at first. I certainly hope that the perspective I've gained here will stick with me, and make me change some of my consumerisitic habits while back home. Because let's be honest, who wants their life to be ruled by such silly little things?

No comments:

Post a Comment